Wednesday 21 April 2010

Gen 4:26 The servant king

Gen 4:26   To Seth also a son was born, and he called his name Enosh. At that time people began to call upon the name of the LORD. (ESV)

One more thing to say here before we leave this verse. It's the word LORD. It's even in capitals. I know that it's a translation issue and it's translating the Hebrew word Yahweh but as we trace its usage through the Bible we see it's a very appropriate translation.  

We do not call on someone who is at our beck and call. We do not call on a servant, like we might call a waiter in some affected French accent "garcon". We do not call on someone who has to do what we say. We call on one whom we are disposed to serve.

This is the King of Kings, the Lord of Lords, the maker of heaven and earth, the one who lives in unapproachable light, who is Holy, Holy, Holy. It's mind blowing that he has made himself available to us in this way to be called upon. We are the ones who should serve him and have failed so badly to do that yet Jesus came "not to be served but to be serve".  

When we call on the name of the Lord we are saying "your will be done". I will follow you. Your way is right. I need your help and I will forever follow you.  Explicit in this cry is "Jesus I need your help because I have not followed you and now I want to. I need you as my saviour and Lord". Jesus cannot be our saviour without being our LORD.

This song comes to mind:
From heaven you came helpless babe
Entered our world, your glory veiled
Not to be served, but to serve
And give your life, that we might live
He calls us now to follow him
To bring our lives as daily offering
Of  worship to the Servant King


No comments:

Post a Comment