Tuesday 20 April 2010

Gen 4:26 Pass the salt

Gen 4:26   To Seth also a son was born, and he called his name Enosh. At that time people began to call upon the name of the LORD. (ESV)

Imagine you're at a dinner party. The talk has died down and the guests are tucking into a tasty meal prepared by their host. One diner looks up and motioning with his hand he says "I say, I don't suppose you could pass the salt my way". The meal is good but for his palate needs a little more seasoning. "Many thanks, mmmm delicious". Sometimes we pray like that. Life seems good but just needs a bit of seasoning. "God, would you mind possibly just sorting this for me, or adjusting that...Ah, that's great, thanks".

Why do we pray like that? Maybe because we don't realise our desperate need of God or others desperate need. I'm finding more and more that I need God to help me change, to be effective in his kingdom, to help me walk, to fight, through each day. I need God to draw near to me and speak to me, encourage me, strengthen me, love me. I need to know his acceptance more as the enemy's fiery darts reign down. I need to know his empowering more as my body and words seem so weak. I need God to heal the sick, release the oppressed, forgive the unforgivable, and build his church. As my heart is broken for these things my prayers break the sound barrier. Please God! Heal! Save! We don't cry out to be heard but to be understood. We don't want God just to hear our words but our heart.

I love reading about revivals when God, in his mercy, reveals mans deep need of him. At the beginning of the Welsh revival in 18th century is was reported (about Howell Harris):
"hundreds were converted -- among them some of the most notorious characters. under the power of the holy spirit, hearts were broken and it was not uncommon for people to come under such conviction that they would cry out loud to God for mercy (while he preached)."

It would seem as I read this verse in Genesis that we have stumbled across the first revival. God revive us in our day! Let us know our deep need of you in such a way that we cry out with deep "diaphragm" prayers.  

There is a real sense of calling out to God in prayer at the moment in our church. The volume is going up, especially in our early morning prayer meetings. I know God is doing something in me because I never used to get up before 6 to pray. It's our prayer meeting tomorrow  night. Always significant times in the life of the church. As Jim Cymbala says they are the barometer of the church. You can have great Sundays mornings with the place packed and worshiping but it's at the prayer meeting that you take the pulse of the church. Sarah can go for the first time as I am not involved in leading it but I'm hoping to join in via Skype. 

No comments:

Post a Comment