Monday 23 August 2010

Genesis 13 and 14 - Thinking a little about a Lot

Over my summer holidays I have been thinking a little about Lot. Up to this point in the story of Abram he has been in the background, traveling with Abram - one might even say tagging along. Reading the account for the first time I would wonder why Lot is mentioned at all.

It occurred to me that Lot was the nearest thing Abram had to a son. Maybe Abram loved him very much. That might explain some of the events that now take place and point to the real meaning of the story.

Abram and Lot leave Egypt loaded down with treasure. They go back to the Negev and then back to where Abram first pitched his tents between Ai and Bethel. He had built an alter at Shechem when God first promised him the land, and another here in between Bethel and Ai where he called on the Lord. It seems Abram calls on the name of the Lord again on his return.

Abram's journey in to Cannan, to Egypt and back again


Abram and Lot have so many possessions and people with them that their Sheppard's are beginning to argue about who gets the best grazing land. To solve this Aram decides that tha time has come for them to separate and gives Lot the first choice of where to go. Lot chooses the well watered plans of Jordon so Abram takes the land of Cannan.  God restates to Abram his promise of land (all you can see) and offspring (more than the dust of the earth), and then Abram settles down near the great trees of Mamre at Hebron where he builds his third alter.  

How different this story is to the events that are currently playing out in the same patch of ground today. Abram is prepared, it seems, to give away the best of the land. God's promises to him cause him to be generous rather than possessive. Subsequent biblical events will of course transpire under God's direction that are not quite so jolly and that I think is a hint as to why we should not jump to a moralising conclusion too quickly. More on that in a moment but I want to explore Abram motives a little first. Perhaps Abram sees Lot as the nearest thing he has to a son and so is willing to give him the best shot at filling the land with his descendents. Perhaps Abram thinks it's time Lot stood on his own two feet. In any case Abram's determination to rescue lot a bit later on shows that he cared very deeply for him and so perhaps his generosity is not so strange.  

As we talked about all this my brother in law pointed out that this is not a straightforward family at all. Heres a taster:

1) Abram's Dad had had daughter Sara by a woman other than Abram's mum
2) Abram ended up marrying sara, his half sister.  
3) Abram had two brothers Haran and Nahor. Haran married Milcah, the daughter of 
Nahor
4)  Abrams Brother Harran died in Ur leaving his son Lot fatherless.
5)  Lot fathers two sons (the ancestors of the Moabites and Ammonites) by his two daughter    
6) Abram fathers a son, Ishmael by his wifes servant Hagar.

The most immediately relevant thing here is that Lot's own father had died and so I would have thought he would see Abram as the nearest thing he had to a father. He had come a long way with him but now seems happy to separate and make his own way in the world. Lucky for him Abram is still keeping an eye on him and when he gets caught up in a local war and carried off as spoils, Abram comes to the rescue.

But what is the point of this story. Just because it happened doesn't mean it should take up space in God's word. Everything God has caused to be recorded and written down is for our benefit to do me good and point me to Jesus.

Here's how a children's bible activity interprets these events:
"Abram deserved the nicer land and could have just taken it. Instead he chose to give it to his nephew. We can all make choices like that. Here's a way! Find a treat. Find a friend. Cut the treat into two pieces, one a little bigger than the other. Take the smaller piece for yourself and give the bigger piece to your friend. Don't tell your friend that you chose the smaller piece - just keep it between you and God."  

That may be true and certainly the world would be a better place is we all followed Abrams example here, but I don't think that is at all the point of the story. It not even that as we give away we get more back. If I stop there I sense I will miss most of the point. I want to peer through the mists of moralizing to the heart of the story. (Interestingly enough someone I spoke to on holiday was finding some very helpful prophetic direction based on this exact story, but that God would use it in this way is of course quite secondary). Where is Jesus? Where is the gospel? That is what has been occupying my mind for the past few days. I am convinced there is a lot more here than a moral example (if it is one at all).  

What's the gist of the story? Abram gives Lot the chance to make a go of it. Lot makes a mess of things, or at least gets taken captive. Abram rescues him. That feels a bit closer to the gospel. I set off to do what I thought was best, to live in the way and the place that I chose. I didn't realize the battle that was being played out around me and the peril I would get into, and like Lot I ended up in need of rescue.

4 Kings come to quash rebellion.
They capture Lot. Abram comes after them,
rescues him a and chases the kings away.
I was fatherless and God became to me a father. Jesus defeated the principalities and powers that carried me off and held me captive. He put me back on my feet again. It wouldn't be the last time that Abram lived out a type of God. In a few years time he would prepare to sacrifice his own son. I am so glad that even now, God's eye is on me to look after me. That I have an even more special relationship with God than Lot had with Abram and which, though not spelled out seems to waft like some wonderful perfume form this short account.

In the grand events of history I am just tagging along. The story is not about me but God. I can image people in the future reading the history books and wondering "why does it mention Marcus?". What's the point of him being in the story. Sure those things happened in his life but why bother mentioning them. And then they would realize that the little bit written about me was not really about me but my heavenly father. And as that penny drops I expect they'll say "Wow, God must have loved him very much".  Which would be true. He does.



No comments:

Post a Comment